Thursday 5 March 2015

Assessment - Miss Havisham Continuity (B)

Personally I really struggled with the continuity assessment finding the whole thing very challenging in regards to creating a perfectly matching character to that of my previous version. My biggest downfall within this assessment was most definitely the hair styling which I know was nothing like my first assessment regardless of placing the sections of curls in the same position on the scalp. The most annoying aspect of the hair was the difference between how it looked in the photographs compared to real life, to look at I thought that the hair was relatively the same but when photographed it looked utterly different. That being said the model that I chose for my final assessment was definitely the right model, her hair was a mixture of ash blonde and yellow tones which meant that her hair carried the correct tones to portray sunlight deprivation and vitamin D deficiency that I had previously researched. In future I definitely need to break up the curls/ ringlets more to create a slightly more distressed look, within these photographs the hair still looks to fresh and perfectly curled. I do think that my choice in the styling for my Miss Havisham did a lot to complement the hair as it created a nice simplicity that allowed the Victorian elements to shine through while still maintaining the subtle hints at a nun-esque social retraction. The colour of the tights that I used to create the styling worked well as it had a slight grey undertone, this not only made the hair appear more yellow but also added a grey tone into the skin enhancing her sickly appearance.  

In regards to the makeup I think that the flash on the camera settings was to bright as the purple and brown tones appear very washed out. This was really annoying as my makeup did not translate how I would have liked on camera. In my first attempt the makeup looked a lot more shadowy and darker due to the flash being on a much lower setting, if I had the time I would have liked to either add more colour to the makeup to try and deepen it or adjusted the flash settings. However as I did not write down what the flash was set on for my first photographs it would have been a rather long winded process to try and balance it out. The key element to the makeup that I wanted to come through most was that of the oily skin and I feel that this was my most successful element in regards to both the continuity and the success of both my images. Due to Miss Havisham's living conditions e.g. the use of candles made from animal fat and bad personal hygiene, I considered how Miss Havisham's skin would be very greasy. Within the photos this element is nicely visible and shine is visible in key areas where dirt would gather. I was most pleased with how my makeup look from the side as you can see how the skin is more grey and hollowed out in particular around the cheekbones and jaw. A side profile is definitely my favourite from the images.

No comments:

Post a Comment