Wednesday 25 March 2015

Changing Mrs Laderman - Key Word: Slipping & Awakening

When I began to think about and plan my Mrs Laderman character more I decided that I did not want to use the key word of the white rose as it did not necessarily apply to my character as much as I thought and would not look right in the photograph in combination with the turban and other elaborate costume pieces. In addition to this is the fact that my designs for the 'white rose' concept would only make sense with a Claudia character, as I am not creating this person it would not be very relevant to the imagery as they would not match if Quentin had the rose. Therefore I took another look at the concepts surrounding my ideas for Mrs Laderman and changed the key words to what I thought would be more appropriate, my chosen words were that of 'slipping' and 'awakening' which both mark out Mrs Laderman's decent into madness/alopecia and then her re-awakening at the hands of her psychic abilities.

BEFORE: SLIPPING
Slipping: From my research into conditions such as Alopecia Universalise I have gained an understanding of how certain physical conditions can have a dramatic effect on how some fits within the walls of their society, but also how it can dramatically effect someones self confidence and the way they view themselves. In regards to my version of Mrs Laderman there are two sides to her character that I will create, the first of which being the conservative housewife which is an important element to emphasising her decent into madness. My backstory for Mrs Laderman is that she was once a happily woman within the 1940's who was a very conservative, republican American. She stayed at home most of her time looking after the home and making sure life was perfect for her husband upon his return from work. Unfortunately however Mrs Laderman developed the genetic disorder of Alopecia which gradually lead to her loosing all of her hair, as a result her husband lost interest in her and eventually left her for a younger woman. As a result this lead to her developing manic depression and she fell deeply into a state of mental imbalance.

AFTER: AWAKENING
Awakening: Following her mental decline Mrs Laderman began to find comfort in holistic healing and visiting Clairvoyants who would offer her words of support and wisdom. The more her interests developed, the more she began to teach herself the art of communicating with the spirit world. From this she ran away and restarted her life as a part of the Carnival folk and through her spiritual awakening found herself a new family and place to call home. Amongst her awakening was also that of personal tastes in regards to attraction, in particular her neighbour on the caravan site Claudia with whom she would spend a significant amount of time with. Slowly finding someone else that she could control as she had lost control of her own life.

No comments:

Post a Comment