Sunday 15 March 2015

Outside Work - Assisting Shoots as MUA

Shoot No.1
The first look that I did as part of assisting with some fashion photography shoots was that of a wet/grunge look. I found this look fun to create as it was personally a style concept that I enjoy looking at and take a personal interest in myself as a fashion/social movement. For this look I created on the model a conventional black smokey eye with softer brown tones towards the edges, the rest of the skin was kept natural and matte with a small amount of glossiness to the lips. I think the makeup worked well together because it was kept minimal, later on in the shoot camouflage paint was also added to the models face and body as the shoot carried a military theme. This is another reason I kept the rest of the makeup fairly basic as I did not want to overpower the model with too much face.
The hair was probably the most challenging element to this shoot as it had to appear wet but stay in the same position for the duration of the shoot. My first thoughts at achieving this was to use oil but this just made the hair look very dirty, instead I chose to spray the hair down completely with water. Once I had done this I then set the hair with a lot of hairspray and gel product so that it stayed fitted into the "wet look" style. This shoot was a very nice thing to be a part of as it allowed me to develop my confidence and skills within makeup, both the stylist and photographer were happy with how the makeup turned out and therefore so was I as all that mattered to me was keeping my model and the designers happy.
Shoot No.2
The second shoot that I was a part of was defiantly my favourite of the two in regards to the makeup and hair as it was incredibly minimal and focused heavily on creating healthy flawless skin. This is a makeup style that is actually the most difficult as the skin has to look as natural as possible but to achieve this a fair amount of product is needed. To achieve a nice glowing skin I made sure to buff the foundation as much as possible into the face and only used a small amount of translucent powder, i then enhanced the glow of the skin with golden highlighter onto the cheek bones and jaw. In between this I used a natural peach blush on the cheeks and finished the makeup off with a small amount of mascara, vaseline and defining the brows. Another aspect to the minimalistic look was that of the hair which was requested to be into a smooth low ponytail with the hairband itself hidden beneath a wrap of the models own hair. To achieve this I used hairspray and a fine tooth comb to smooth the hair backwards into my hand where I could then tie it securely. I then took a small piece of hair from beneath the hairband and wrapped it around the top of the hair to hide the elastic, hairspray was then used to smooth the whole hair down> I also ran straighteners through the ponytail to smooth out any last minute kinks and keep the hair combined into one smooth shape. I think however the hair would have looked better had I had some serum that I could put through the ends to soften any dryness.

No comments:

Post a Comment